Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Happy Emmy Sunday!

I thought that as the Emmy Awards got closer, the controversy would die down and people would concentrate on the actual nominees.

But apparently that’s not going to happen, which forces me to talk about it myself—which I really didn’t want to do.

So here goes…

I am SO sick of hearing how “Lost” and “Desperate Housewives” got snubbed by the Emmys. If you’re a fan of either, I’m sorry your show didn’t get nominated; but it’s time to acknowledge the people who did. By constantly mentioning those who weren’t nominated, it makes those who were look like chopped liver.

I know that “Lost” won last year, but this year, they submitted the wrong episode. As for “Housewives,” how can a show with an accused murderer shackled in a basement be considered a comedy? The show was just too dark this season. And show creator Marc Cherry is known to give lousy advice about what episodes to submit. The only reason Felicity Huffman won last year was because Marcia Cross submitted Huffman’s best episode.

Now I know what you guys are thinking. I would feel differently if “24” had not received so many nominations. But as you may recall, I actually thought Kiefer Sutherland would not get nominated because of the new voting system. I recognized there would be omissions, why didn’t anyone else?

Apparently ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson (who is SO on my list) was so miffed at the “snubs” he scheduled “Pirates of the Caribbean” to run opposite the awards telecast. As Emmy host Conan O’Brien said, that doesn’t say much about what ABC thinks of “Grey’s Anatomy,” which has 11 nominations (McPherson denies this was the reason for the scheduling.).

Now there’s talk of revamping the voting system again to avoid these “errors” in the future. Personally, I think the Emmys should give this system one more year with only small adjustments. In my opinion, the new system has given us the most interesting slate in years and so it deserves another try.

Unfortunately, though, the “snubs” are not the only controversy this year. Ellen Burstyn received a Supporting Actress in a TV Movie nod for “Mrs. Harris,” in which she appeared for all of 14 SECONDS! Critics are using that nod as more evidence the system should be revamped. There’s just one problem. The new system was not used for Burstyn’s category. Her nomination was awarded on name recognition only—exactly what the new system was created to prevent.

Just like any other awards, the Emmys have their problems. But I don’t think they should be completely overhauled because a few people didn’t get nominations.

Remember that I’ll be back at 7:45 p.m. to start blogging the ceremony. So come back and join me. You’ll need to refresh the page to see my new posts. I’ll be updating at least every 15 minutes and quicker when I can.

Stay tuned…