Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"Cashmere Mafia": A Little Too Familiar?


Many people had written off “Cashmere Mafia” as a “Sex and the City” rip-off. But since I’ve never had HBO, I haven’t seen that many episodes of “Sex.”

Yet somehow I was able to predict just about everything that was going to happen after only 15 minutes.

Which tells me that “Cashmere” is a rip-off of way more than just “Sex”…

If you missed it, “Cashmere” is the story of four powerful women in New York City and the men (and women) in their lives.

Mia (Lucy Liu) is in publishing. When the show opens, her boyfriend, Jack, proposes to her. But since Thomas Everett Scott (Jack) was listed as a special guest star, I knew the relationship wasn’t long for this world. And sure enough, after Mia beat Jack out for publisher, Jack called off the engagement.

I’m not sure what was more idiotic—that Mia actually thought her underhanded tactics wouldn’t bother Jack or that Jack was stupid enough to tell her what he was working on…

Zoe (Frances O’Connor) is an investment banker with two children and a real problem finding a decent nanny. I knew that her husband would get the job that would put him on the road a lot, but I did miss my prediction that he would be tempted by the new nanny.

But never fear, the show does have a cheating husband. It’s the husband of Juliet (Miranda Otto), the COO of a hotel chain. The best moment of the show was when Juliet told her husband that she was going to have an affair, but even it was tarnished by Otto’s caricature of a performance.

Meanwhile, the promiscuous woman role is filled by Caitlin (Bonnie Somerville), a marketing executive for a cosmetics firm. However, Caitlin gets a little twist when she feels sparks for another woman.

On second thought, “Sex” did that one too, didn’t they?...

I guess there’s nothing horrible about “Cashmere,” it’s just so predictable…and blah. I’ve never been a Lucy Liu fan and I’ve already told you about Otto. O’Connor is okay, but Somerville has none of the sparkle she usually shows.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t mind a “Sex” rip-off, but “Cashmere” doesn’t even come close.

I’m hoping NBC’s “Lipstick Jungle” can do better…

“Cashmere Mafia” airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC…