Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"The Dark Knight": I Could Not Have Been More Wrong

So I know this isn’t a blog about movies. But after all of the “Batman”-related posts I’ve had over the last two weeks, you didn’t really think I wouldn’t say anything about “The Dark Knight” did you?...

“Batman” (the Tim Burton original) is my favorite movie of all time. So when I first heard that “The Dark Knight” would feature The Joker, I was not happy. To me, Jack Nicholson’s performance could not be topped. And when I heard it was Heath Ledger who had been cast, I just didn’t get it at all. I thought Warner Bros. had made a huge mistake.

If you’ve seen the movie, you know I could not have been more wrong…

Heath Ledger is beyond brilliant. His Joker is creepy and funny all at the same time—exactly what The Joker should be. It’s when he disappears from the story temporarily that you feel the movie drag for the first and only time. He IS the movie.

When I got home Saturday, Bravo was showing “Brokeback Mountain” and I watched some of it just to see a comparison. And that’s when it hit me. Heath Ledger could have been one of our most brilliant actors ever if given the chance. Maybe he still was.

It’s obvious that Warner Bros. had more plans for The Joker. I hope they scrap those plans now because Ledger’s performance cannot be topped. I know I said that before, but I know I’m right this time.

I’ve read that Warner Bros. is a little nervous about mounting an Oscar campaign for Ledger. If anyone from Warner Bros. is reading this, I completely appreciate your hesitation and respect you for it. But Ledger not getting a nomination would be a total crime so I urge you to put your concerns aside and go for it. I’m pretty sure Hollywood will support you…

Someone told me today that they felt sorry for Christian Bale because of the shadow Ledger is casting. They shouldn’t because Bale is fantastic as well—although that voice he uses for Batman can get a little hard to understand (He’s no Kevin Conroy.). His Bruce Wayne, though, is thoroughly entertaining. And let’s face it. He’s not too hard on the eyes…

I also loved William Fitchner (“Prison Break”) in the movie’s opening segment. And Nestor Carbonell (“Lost”) was great as the mayor of Gotham City, complete with his ageless Other mascara. Plus, how could you not love Anthony Michael Hall as the news anchor that helps us follow the action.

And did I mention the greatness of Gary Oldman (Commissioner Gordon), Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent), Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Michael Caine (Alfred)?
Plus, Maggie Gyllenhaal is a HUGE improvement over Katie Holmes.

Oh, and by the way. In case you couldn’t tell, I really loved the movie and I highly recommend it.

HOWEVER, if you are a parent debating on whether to take your young child to see it, I implore you to leave your child at home. This is not The Joker of the TV show or even the cartoon. This Joker is a psychopathic maniac that kills for the sport of it (and in ways that would make Jack Bauer cringe). That is not a character for children to see. I’m not even sure it’s a character for adults to see…

On second thought. Yes it is a character for adults to see, because if you don’t, you’ll miss the performance of a lifetime. A lifetime cut way too short…
Photo provided by History. © 2007 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.