Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, August 22, 2008

Mark-Paul on Bochco: "I don't know if I'm his go-to-guy"


You guys know that I christened Mark-Paul Gosselaar Steven Bochco’s go-to-guy after Bochco brought his former “NYPD Blue” star to his reboot of “Commander In Chief.” And now Gosselaar is starring in Bochco’s first foray into the world of cable, TNT’s “Raising the Bar.”

So when I had the chance to talk with Gosselaar, I got his thoughts on my title for him.

“Well, I think all my persistent knockings on his door have finally paid off. You know, because I don’t know if I'm his go-to guy or if I've just been telling him, please, you know, whenever you have a project, think of me because I'd love to work with you again. I still feel, you know, quite indebted to him for hiring me for NYPD Blue, but I mean, honestly though, I think that we have the same sort of passion for our work and, you know, when he has a project, I would, you know, jump at the chance to – to be a part of it. Because I know that he creates such an environment for me, as an actor, to be creative in and also to feel secure that he's going to give me the stories and – and just protect – to protect us in a way that allows us just to enjoy the process.”

I think Gosselaar is selling himself a little short—especially since he was Bochco’s first choice to play Jerry Kellerman, the main character in “Bar.”

In his conference call with reporters, Bochco had nothing but glowing praise for Gosselaar.
“I love him and I don't say that loosely. I really adore this guy. Such a special guy. When we worked together on ‘NYPD Blue’ for, I think it was five years. I really came to have enormous regard for him personally as well as artistically. He's passionate about the work. He really invests himself in the work, and yet he's not a prima donna, he's just a wonderful person to work with. You just couldn't have a better guy on your team.”

Sounds like he’s Bochco’s go-to-guy to me…

“Raising the Bar” premieres Monday, September 1st at 10 p.m. on TNT…

And Monday, you can read my review of the show…
Photo provided by TNT