Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Monday, October 20, 2008

“Project Runway” Finale: We Deserved Better

You’ve no doubt noticed that I haven’t said anything about the season finale of “Project Runway.”

The truth is I haven’t been really sure what to say…

Yes, the right person won, but was that enough to salvage the season?

Sadly, no. And Bravo really deserved better…

Before the finale, I said I was still optimistic because Tim Gunn was going to be a judge. But the greatest development in “Runway” history turned out to be a total dud. We barely heard any of the judges’ discussion. And what we did hear was mainly glowing reviews and none of the patented Gunn snark we were looking forward to.

Tim being made a judge did lead to the hour’s best moment as Kenley, upon hearing the news said, “Maybe I should have changed my attitude.” You think?

The only real negative comments made at all by the judges were about Leanne, which made me think there was a possibility that Kenley could win. But that was what the editors wanted us to think as they tried to milk drama out of a dramaless situation.

Because apparently the decision was completely clear for the judges. Usually when Heidi asks, “Have we made our decision?” Nina Garcia is on the verge of tears as she agonizes over her decision. But this time, she confidently said, “It’s clear.”

For the record, I agree that Leanne was head and shoulders above Korto and Kenley. But with these judges, you just never know…

However, Leanne did win, but it was the most muted celebration I’ve ever seen on the runway.

Even Bravo knew they had a turkey on their hands. That’s why they didn’t use the designers in the promos. That’s why they didn’t use the designers in the opening credits. And I have to believe that’s why, for the first time, they didn’t have a reunion.

The next season of “Runway” is currently in production, but due to the legal fight between The Weinstein Co. and NBC Universal, there’s no telling when we’ll see it.

But I have to admit I may not see it all. Because this season may have squelched my passion for “Project Runway.”

And if I’m not alone (and I don’t think I am), Lifetime may have its work cut out for it.

And I can’t help but think that maybe that was Bravo’s plan all along.

Or at least I hope so. Because I’d hate to think they gave us this crap on purpose.

We deserved better too…

Photos Credit: Barbara Nitke/Bravo