Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"Prison Break": "It's time to stop running!"

As the credits rolled during “24: Redemption” Sunday night, the announcer said, “Don’t miss the last five minutes of ‘Prison Break’ for the most shocking twist of the season!”

It was strange since I didn’t recall seeing a single “Break” promo during the entire two hours of “Redemption”—and there were definitely enough breaks for FOX to squeeze one or two in. So I figured I would watch just to see what was so important that they had to include a special announcement.

You may recall that I enjoyed the new direction “Break” took this season. But after watching the premiere before the season started, I have to admit that I didn’t watch a single episode afterward thanks to the lethal combination of “Monday Night Football,” “Worst Week” and Bravo marathons. And after taping about five weeks, I realized I would never catch up and just gave up entirely.

But Monday, I blocked out an hour to watch a show I once was absolutely nuts for to see what the big twist was.

I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I didn’t know how the guys got all the cards for Scylla. I had no idea how they broke into The Company offices and kidnapped The General.

And I had no idea what T-Bag and Gretchen were up to.

But sadly, I could see the twist coming from a mile away. Oh sure, they attempted some small red herrings involving Mahone, but it was obvious from around the 9:30 mark that the gang would be betrayed by [SPOILER ALERT!] Self (Michael Rappaport), the FBI agent they had been working for all season.
I have to admit, it made me want to cry a little…

Throughout the hour, I got little twinges of the adrenaline rush I used to get when watching the show. But after the “big twist” that all went away.
Let’s face it. As Samuel Gerard said in “The Fugitive,” “It’s time to stop running!”

But just as Dr. Richard Kimble got a happy ending, “Break” deserves one too. Not just an additional couple of episodes on the DVD. Not a few hours buried in the summer. It deserves an honest-to-goodness satisfying ending.

Even though I crossed “Break” off my must-see list a long time ago, I still want to see it go out on a high note. Maybe I’m just sentimental for the old days of the “Prison Break”-“24” one-two punch.

Hopefully someone at FOX is too…

“Prison Break” airs Mondays at 9 p.m. on FOX…
Photos Credit: Greg Gayne/FOX