Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Desperate Housewives": I've Truly Outgrown These People

You guys are no doubt wondering why I haven’t said anything about “Desperate Housewives” recently. I haven’t said anything, because I haven’t been watching…

As I’ve told you before, Sunday night is usually date night for me. So, it was always a given to tape “DH.” But over the last couple of months, I just haven’t even bothered. I just didn’t really care enough to put in the time of watching it.

However, due to a schedule change, I have actually been home to watch the show these past two weeks. And since I knew there was a big event coming up, I wanted to see how it unfolded.

But sadly, I think I have to stick with my thoughts in my last post about the show. I really think I have outgrown “Desperate Housewives.”

Of course, any growth at all would outgrow these characters…

Warning: If you have not yet seen this week’s “Desperate Housewives,” stop reading now…

Remember that five years have passed. So why is Lynette just as selfish as she ever was? One more time she swooped in to take away Tom’s opportunity. If the show wanted her to be a working woman, why did it ever take her out of that role to begin with? I do have to say, however, that I enjoyed her power play this week as she managed to get Carlos’ new VP fired. But that stuff needs to be a rarity, not the usual.

And what in the world have they done to Orson? Yes, I can understand why he would be upset over Bree’s business. But what did he expect her to do while he was in prison? Sit around and knit all day? It’s really something when Andrew is the voice of reason. He was right that if Orson loved Bree he wouldn’t take her business from her. And Orson expressing his frustration through stealing is just ridiculous.

But the one that ticked me off the most this week was Karl, Susan’s ex-husband. I’m a big fan of Richard Burgi, so I couldn’t believe the show was asking him to continue playing such a jerk. Obviously, no one at the show remembers that Susan almost got back together with him, so they continue to play the jerk card. They’ve both been married since then! Stop it! Thankfully, the show did redeem Karl somewhat when he finally admitted the reason he had been so flip about his child’s disturbing drawings was to hide the fact that his wife had left him. And Susan showed a little growth herself, when she responded with sympathy as opposed to happiness.

When Gaby told Carlos that they were becoming who they used to be and that she didn’t want to go back to that, I wanted to scream, “Hallelujah! Somebody gets it!” Is it possible that Gaby has actually grown the most of all of them?

But someone who won’t have a chance to grow is Edie, who in the worst kept secret in TV, was killed Sunday night after she ran off the road to avoid Orson, hit an electric pole and then was electrocuted when she got out of the car.

Seeing as how Orson has experience in running people over with cars, you’d think he would have known to get out of the way…

I think Edie taught us a very valuable lesson this week. If you suspect that your husband is a psychopath trying to hurt someone else, you shouldn’t respond to the knowledge by waiting alone for him to get home, while enjoying some wine. You might think about calling the person you think he’s trying to hurt or—even better—calling the police. That way when he confesses to you that he is a psychopath, the police can emerge from another room in the house and take him away.

But then we wouldn’t have had any story, would we? Then again, maybe that would have been better…

Now, I will no doubt watch the remainder of the season to see how this whole Dave thing plays out, but after that, I really think I’m done with “DH.” I’m sure there’s something else for me to watch that will better suit my new maturity.

Maybe like another edition of “Rock of Love”…

Photo Credit: Ron Tom/ABC