Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

How Richard Burgi Introduced Me to My Favorite Show

By now you’ve no doubt seen Sunday’s episode of “Desperate Housewives.” And you know that my hunch was right…

If by chance you haven’t stop reading now…

Karl died and received a really crummy exit. Check that. Make that one classy exit and one ridiculous one. Instead of following the lead of Susan’s story and showing Karl with some heart and class, Bree’s story turned him back into the gigolo he always had been just so they could set up a reunion with Orson. And that, my friends, was the last straw that made me cross “DH” off my must-see list.

Karl’s portrayer, Richard Burgi, truly deserved better…

It’s funny that I have such loyalty to Burgi. After all, he played my least favorite soap opera character of all time—Chad Rollo of “Another World.” But for some reason, I always try to sample every show I know he’s going to appear in.

In fact, it’s that loyalty that led me to watch a show I may have not watched otherwise. A little show called “24”…

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while now know that I am obsessed with “24” but I have to confess that I didn’t watch it from the beginning. I meant to, seeing as how it was the most critically acclaimed show of the fall that year, but I just didn’t. After all it was November 2001 and after 9/11 I wasn’t much in the mood for a show about terrorism.

But one Tuesday night I happened to be watching FOX and “24” came on. I was in the middle of wrapping Christmas presents so I didn’t change the channel. When I looked up and saw the name Richard Burgi in the credits, I figured I’d watch for a few minutes to see what he was playing. I was impressed to see that he was playing a nice guy for a change. A caring father who was concerned about the health of his daughter who had just been brought to the hospital after going missing.

Finally, he got the chance to see his daughter. He slowly walked into her room. “Daddy” she said as he walked in and he started reassuring her. But as he came closer she looked confused. Finally she said, “Who are you? Where’s my father?” He stroked her hair…and then proceeded to smother her with her oxygen mask. “What was that?!” I yelled at the TV. This sweet family man had suddenly turned into a killer (He would later be revealed to be working for the show’s villain to kidnap Jack Bauer’s wife.). In retrospect, it was the moment “24” became “24.” But for me it was the moment I fell in love. “This show is crazy” I remember saying to the TV. But in this case crazy was awesome…

I missed the next episode because I wasn’t used to watching, but I haven’t missed an episode since. There’s no doubt that Kiefer Sutherland has kept me watching, but it was Richard Burgi who got me to tune in at all.

Honestly, “24” has provided me with such great moments I can’t imagine not having it as part of my life. Maybe that’s why I feel such loyalty to Burgi. He introduced me to my favorite show…

I look forward to seeing him introduce me to my next one…

Photo Credit: Danny Feld/ABC