Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"Psych": Shawn and Gus Visit "Twin Peaks"

It’s hard for me to believe, but there is only one show that my husband watches on a regular basis (Well, there are those “Family Guy” reruns, but I’m talking about new shows.).

And that lucky show is USA’s “Psych,” which continues its fall run tonight.

At first glance, the description of tonight’s episode doesn’t seem all that strange. Shawn and Gus (James Roday and Dule Hill) are invited to a festival in the small town of Dual Spires. But while there, they get caught up in a mysterious murder.

But in Dual Spires, nothing is quite what it seems. And that’s exactly the point. Because tonight’s episode is a tribute to the quirkiest show of them all—“Twin Peaks,” which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

Get it now? Dual Spires? Twin Peaks? Am I the only one who thinks that’s really clever?

The episode features guest appearances by a number of “Peaks” stars including Sherilynn Fenn, Ray Wise and Sheryl Lee. Roday actually co-wrote the episode and Julee Cruise, who performed music for “Peaks,” will perform the “Psych” theme song.

It’s hard for me to believe that “Peaks” is 20 years old. I didn’t watch it, but I remember my mom and dad watching the first episode. I remember them telling me how much they enjoyed it and me telling them that from what I saw there was just something not quite right about the show. Of course, I reminded them of that when they complained that the show got too weird…

I don’t think they were fans of little people who talked backward…

By the way, the teenage girl who’s murdered in the episode is named Paula Merral. “Peaks” fans will recognize that as an anagram for the “Peaks” murder victim, Laura Palmer.

Come on. You’ve got to think that one’s clever…

The “Dual Spires” episode of “Twin Peaks” airs tonight (Wednesday) at 10 p.m. on USA. If you miss it, you can catch encores Thursday, December 2nd at Midnight; Sunday, December 5th at 9 a.m.; and Tuesday, December 7th at 11 p.m.

Photo Credit: Alan Zenuk/USA